Love to Read Local Week is a state-wide campaign showcasing and celebrating Western Australia’s many, many wonderful writers and illustrators, and the books they create. Through an exciting program of bespoke events, our mission is to connect Western Australian readers with Western Australian books.
Now entering its third year, Love to Read Local Week 2022 will take place from 3 to 12 June.
Writing WA is proud to be working with our state-wide network of member organisations and with other enthusiastic stakeholders to deliver this year’s campaign. Live events, online promotions, media activities and more will all feature in this unique celebration of West Australian literature.
What’s on for Love to Read Local Week 2022 …
We have lots of exciting activities in place for Love to Read Local Week 2022. These are just a few of them:
- Announcing the Studio Crawl! For the first time in Love to Read Local Week Writing WA and the City of Fremantle are launching this unique opportunity to take a deep dive into the world of children’s book illustration. Presented in association with the Literature Centre and Paper Bird Books. Book now.
- The return for its third year of the Love to Read Local Flash Fiction Competition. Writing WA, in partnership with Raine Square and Night Parrot Press, is delighted to present the Love to Read Local Flash Fiction competition. The competition offers publication opportunities for all shortlisted entries and $1000 worth of prizes to be won. Shortlisted and winning entries will be announced during Love to Read Local Week.
- Book Club Events – Writing WA with the support of the Copyright Agency Cultural Fund will be enabling a series of author talks in book clubs and venues throughout the State. If you would like to host an author event – and have Writing WA pay the author’s fee – apply now.
- Take part in our #LookWhoLovestoReadLocal campaign. Share a picture of your favourite book by a Western Australian author on your feed with the hashtag #LovetoReadLocal. Check out who else loves to read local here.
- Watch this space for more events and promotions …
More ideas on how to celebrate Western Australia’s writers and books …
- Find a great book by a Western Australian author. Browse a selection of fantastic books by WA authors here, discover our local WA publishing houses here, and subscribe to the Love to Read Local newsletter for fortnightly news on the latest books by WA authors here.
- Shop Local – share the love with WA’s wonderful independent bookshops.
- Take a journey on the Love to Read Local Literary Map. Find books that will inspire you to travel to the many places in WA that have inspired our authors. Plan your itinerary here. Tell us about a book that’s inspired you to travel to a particular place in WA.
- Become a #LovetoReadLocal ambassador by spreading the word via social media. Share one of the Love to Read Local social media graphics, add a LTRL button to your home page, add a frame to your social media profile picture, or share the info in your blog or e-newsletter. Check out the tools that we’ve created to help you spread the word.
- Discover WA writers that you may not have heard of yet by exploring the Literati database.
- View some of our existing book trailers on Writing WA’s YouTube channel and watch past episodes of Cover to Cover.
- Make your own YouTube video. Tell us why you love to read local and which books you love the most. Send us the YouTube link to share.
- Start a Book Club with friends and choose from our Book Club favourites to get the party started.