Late last year Writing WA announced that we would be launching Love to Read Local Week in May 2020. Our aim was to engage all Western Australians in a week-long celebration of local stories, books and authors.
Since then Covid-19 has changed the ways in which we were planning to share this celebration. So now, while we remain at a social distance in the physical world, let’s get socially closer in the digital world. This website has been created to help all of us come together to share the ways in which we love to read local. It is a place where you can connect with other readers, tell us which local books you love to read and perhaps inspire others to read those books too!
Let’s get creative about this. We’ve listed below some of the ways that we’ve thought of for sharing the love and we’d love to hear from you if you have ideas of your own.
To celebrate Western Australia’s writers and books…
- Dedicate at least 30 minutes of your social distancing time each day to reading a good book. Choose from lots of great books listed here or visit our publishing members websites here.
- Stock up on books by WA Writers. Each week we will feature a selection of books that you can purchase from Writing WA’s Member Bookshops at the special “Love to Read Local discount”. As the weeks go by, we will add more books to the list. We challenge you to see how many you can read during the life of this campaign! For this week’s specials go here.
- Listen to the podcasts that Fremantle Press have made especially to help us Love to Read Local. And then listen to their archived podcasts. Find out about “Love to Read Local Radio” podcasts here.
- Become an ambassador for Love to Read Local by spreading the word via social media, adding a LTRL button to your home page, adding a frame to your social media profile picture, changing your cover image, and sharing the info in your blog or e-newsletter.
Check out the tools that we’ve created to help you spread the word.
- Contribute a book review of your own that we can share here on this site. Use our template to have your review uploaded.
- Discover WA writers that you may not have heard of yet by exploring the Literati database.
- Send us your Instagram pics and #LovetoReadLocal and tell us which local book you love to read the most. Why not aim for one a week? We’d love to see your bookclub, bookface, shelfies, bookstacks, TBR piles, favourite reading spots, families reading together etc.
- Listen to Barry Nicholls on ABC Radio National for his special Love to Read Local interviews.
- View some of our existing book trailers on Writing WA’s YouTube channel and watch past episodes of Cover to Cover.
- Make your own YouTube video. Tell us why you love to read local and which books you love the most. Send us the YouTube link to share.
- Start an online Book Club with friends and choose from our Book Club favourites to get the party started.
- Host a WA author as part of your online book club event. If you need our help to organise this send us an email and we’ll be in touch.
- Find out who else loves to read local here.